28 Oct 2014
October marked the arrival of tons of custom built, copper distilling equipment at the small, but highly acclaimed Michter's Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky. In an expansion of its facilities, Michter's installed a 46 foot high column still and a copper pot still doubler built by 101 year-old Vendome Copper & Brass Works. Filmed with several GoPro cameras and a drone, this video highlights the hoisting of the 46 foot column still over 100 feet in the air before it is dropped into the distillery's still tower and christened with a bottle of Michter's US*1 Rye and a bottle of Michter's US*1 Bourbon.
Speaking to those present, Michter's President Joseph J. Magliocco stated, "Most of all we would like to thank and to dedicate these two new stills to everyone who enjoys Michter's and makes it possible for us to work in jobs we love making the whiskey we love."
American whiskey is experiencing a tremendous revival both in the U.S. and world-wide, as exports of Kentucky whiskey have grown 99% over the past four years. Michter's offerings include single barrel Rye, single barrel Bourbon, small-batch Bourbon, and small batch American whiskey. Michter's has been proclaimed "Best American Whiskey" by Food & Wine magazine as well as "Best of the Best" by Robb Report.
Key Facts: Michter's New Distillation Equipment
- Built using 11,051 pounds of copper
- Required 4,100 man hours to build
- Utilizes 2,576 feet of copper condensing tube
- 64,000 gallons of fermentation capacity
- Column still dropped from over 100 foot height into 54 foot high still tower building
- 46 feet high by 32 inch diameter copper column still with 19 trays and 4 levels of unique copper grids
- 9 feet tall by 5 feet 6 inch diameter (at widest point) copper pot still with 250 gallon capacity
Watch the video's
Source - Michter's Distillery